When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 17 August 2015

Painting is a Jody's Best Friend!

We kind of got sidelined on the Emily Trudeau Sign project last week, as we took a last minute miniatures build for a toy commercial. So that meant not much happened on the sign.
But before we tackled the miniatures build, we wanted to be at the primer stage on the sign, at the very least! Once all the glue had hardened, we set about to tackle any seams that need some extra love, then we spent about 30 minutes hosing the sign down to remove the stubborn HDU grit from sanding. No paint failure for us! . This is a great opportunity to kind of see if, and where any water might collect and pool in the real world. It passed my water retention test!
With the primer well dried by the commercial shoot delivery, Jody got to work right away on the painting! I did very little painting on this, Jody was like a paint brush animal! I did help with some of it, but not a lot of the cool stuff. I was just the basecoat guy! The leaves got 2 coats of base green, and 2 coats of glaze, each one darker than the last.

However, I do remember painting pink, alot of coats of pink though.

With the 2 color pink finally done, she moved onto the log.

 Usually on every job, there's a part that I really can't wait to work on, and a part she can't wait to work on. The log was it for her. She was so smiley the entire time!


See what I'm talkin' bout! So happy that little lady! She did 2 coats of glaze on the log as well

We didn't forget the back either! However, Jody's smile wasn't quite as large as the log part :)
The words splash pad also got their paint job, as well as the 2 flowers. We didn't actually have time to sculpt the flowers, so we cheated a lot-tle. We actually purchased 2, over-sized silk flowers, and hosed them down with the polyester hard-coat. This bonded really well to the fabric petals, essentially becoming a fiberglass sculpture all on it's own. Then a quick paint job, and BAM, they were ready for mounting!
I didn't actually get any final pictures of the butterfly though. We were a little crunched on the time, and some things slip through the cracks a little!
The final parts to get painted were the soccerball, and the water portion. This sign will head out first thing in the AM, ready for it's road trip out to Tweed!
8)
JWO











1 comment:

  1. You cannot tell how big it is while its up but with you standing next to it, it was one massive sign!

    ReplyDelete