When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 20 July 2015

I'v got my boarding pass ready!

 Next on the chopping block was the wall section. This section just has 3 windows in it. In the concept sketch, there is only one window that the actor is looking out of, but we added a window on each side so that light could come through, and look a little more real in the final image. These probably will never be seen, but you never know in the end! This was cut from 3/8" flexi-ply for easy bending.
The curved rib supports, and the wall stands were cut from 3/4" plywood for strength and weight. I also cut in a curved slot, so they could sand bag the bottom to hold it firm on the ground. Nothing worse than your plane falling in on you when your flying!

 The recessed wall panel, as well as the 3d window bezel were assembled. Again, the recessed panel was cut from flexi-ply, and skinned in .060" styrene for a smooth face finish.
Once they were all assembled, they got air nailed to the back of the curved wall section.
With the large curved wall section also skinned in .060" styrene, the wall is definitely starting to come together!!
 With all of the inserts, and window bezel assemblies in place, I sprayed the entire unit in a rubberized texture spray. This will add a mild texture to all the smooth wall panels!!
8)

JWO

No comments:

Post a Comment