When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 10 November 2014

The legalities are over!

Because I had kept all the files on this job, I was able to create the new text portion of the sign in the exact spot where I needed it. This allowed me to punch through the texture of the original sign background, so the texture would be perfectly in sync with the old portion of the sign. Not being able to conceal the edge led me to putting a small raised border around the new inset piece. If you can't hide it, make it a feature!
Our Techno cut out the whole section in around 45 minutes with a 1/4" ball nose cutter. This included the text and border cleanup toolpaths.
The final piece fit in like it had been cut on a cnc router! :) A Techno cnc router that is!
I only used urethane glue in the 4 corners, just incase it goes through another name change............


The lighting at the time of install really hides the subtle brickwork texture, but as the day progresses, it really starts to pop. Although it's hard to see in the picture!
The install went amazingly fast. It actually took longer to get it out of the van!
It really is an eye catcher as you drive past it. It looks just as good at night under the lights on the posts as well!
8)
JWO





No comments:

Post a Comment