When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 4 November 2014

Oh Those Crazy Lawyers!

3 years ago, if you remember, we did a sign for a law firm in Oshawa. A city about 40 minutes from the shop.
Well, I do believe that since that time, one of the lawyers has become a judge, and they needed the sign changed to reflect the new name! I knew at some point the name might change, but was kinda hoping it wouldn't!
Our sign was in remarkable shape! The only issue I could see in terms of weathering, was the small chains on the justice scales. They had started to rust a little! I actually don't mind the real patina left by nature!
Luckily, I keep almost every file I have ever created, so doing a name change on a sign like this isn't an impossible task. The biggest challenge would be crossing my fingers that it fit under the gantry on our Techno. The original sign was cut in layers to allow for the welded steel frame inside. But now, the layers are all one piece!
Clearly this issue was not of any concern when the sign got to the shop! As I had all the original computer files, I was able to scribe in the sign outline into the spoilboard. This gave me something to manually line the actual sign to. Insuring that everything would be straight, and where it should be. It's a bit freaky running a finished painted sign back under the cnc, for obvious reasons...........
But the worry was for not! There were no mishaps, and everything worked out fine!
8)
JWO


No comments:

Post a Comment