When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 30 September 2014

"Can I get quilted softness in a 5 speed?"

The Purex toilet paper car was framed up from 3/4" plywood. I had our Techno cut all the pieces, and as per the design, they all pretty much clicked together. I do love the Dog-bone fillet tool that Aspire has, it makes assembly a snap!
All the sides of the car, with the exception of the away from camera side, were skinned in 1/8" plywood. This added a fair amount of strength to the frame, without much weight. And as our car has no engine, it would need to be carried into position.
Using the layout from the 3d model, we clad the frame with the appropriate packages.
The only "not factory packaging" things we had to do was miter a couple of packages for the windshield and rear window areas. The second hardest thing in the world has to be mitering a package of toilet paper, while still retaining the look of the package. The first hardest thing being pulling a truck with your teeth. In fact, I think mitering toilet paper should become a new challenging sport on TSN!
We decided to add a side-view mirror, and the 4 pack was almost made with that in mind, like Purex knew somehow............I also believe that the bumper is now rated for 60 km/h impact!
We decided to turf the original wheels, as they just weren't working in real life aesthetically. And we went with a couple of six packs. The support structure will be unscrewed once the car makes it to the location shoot!
I hope I can find the finished commercial online, as Purex is a Western Canada product, and the commercial won't air our way.
8)
JWO






No comments:

Post a Comment