When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Friday 9 May 2014

a Sad Farewell To A Best Friend.........

First off, I have to say goodbye to a best friend :(
My best friend being my design computer. A fully loaded Toshiba Qosmio laptop. Over the last 18 months we had become very close. We laughed together, shared moments, even shed a tear or two.
This all ended Wednesday night as I was leaving the shop for the day. My carefully packed up powerhouse was in it's bag, waiting to head home for a night of design work on the cockpits.
Somehow, it slid off the chair and hit the floor with a thud! It wasn't until I got home that I found out it was dead. Wouldn't turn on, nothing. Dead, dead, dead. There was crying, rocking, holding, and I even begged to take me instead. No luck. I ripped it apart, and checked everything. Dead.
So it was off to the store to get a replacement, sadly with windows 8 instead of 7. So after a few days re-installing major software, and tweaking, it now behaves like 7, and that suits me just fine. Stupid app screen...............


















John and I worked pretty solidly on the remaining 3 cockpits. It was great, John had all his files ready for the router, and buzzed away doing his planes, while I worked on mine.
We ended up doing the final fit of each cockpit on top of our Techno. It was the only 5 X 12' surface in the shop that was flat!



First thing this morning, Jody and I started with the painting, while John finished up the detail pieces for his planes.


I ordered a pile of self-adhesive rubber bumpers that became the many rivet details that will be everywhere on these 4 builds.
Tomorrow I'll finish up my last few bits while jody keeps pushing forward on the painting. Madison will be coming in to paint as well tomorrow, so it truly will be a family business!!
8)
JWO


No comments:

Post a Comment