When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 28 April 2014

TOP GUN!

Our current build actually started last Thursday! This is my reference material for the build.
Production needs 4 different jet fighter cockpits for an upcoming shoot. This build is going to work hand in hand with the CG fx team. We're building the immediate area around the pilot, so they can get shadows etc.
This has pretty much been my work all weekend! You wouldn't believe how exhausting it can be pulling geometry from a 3d model, cross referencing it with the scale model for accurate sizing. Then flattening out the pieces for cutting on our Techno.
 Today I started routering some of the geometry. I'm finding it hard to draw the entire thing without seeing exactly how some of the components will come together in real life. Because we're building these in movable sections, it can be a bit mind numbing figuring it all out at once.
On the bright side,  I got a nice break from the computer at the shop. This was due entirely to little Finley rolling in something amazing in the field out back! Thanks little guy :)
This is the side wall rib assembly for the F4 Phantom. Oh....it's simple now, but that wasn't the case early in the job!
I also got the front canopy framework built as well. There's no actual canopy glass going in this build. That'll be left up to the awesome work of Digital Effects!

I fear a very long week awaits.............................................................

8)
JWO







No comments:

Post a Comment