When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 1 April 2013

The racecar continues!

I spent most of the weekend working on some sheet good processing for the usual run of machine bases we do a lot of.

I worked on tweaking the f1 car in the computer as well.
The spoilers on the front and back got modeled.
I rendered it in a metallic green, but just for the blog. Normally I try not to render in color, just white. This keeps the focus on the model. It's amazing how color can influence somebody in liking or dis-liking something.

 I did notice that after I rendered it, I had messed up the rims a little. The spoke spacing is actually off a little, so I will re-model that after I do the bobble-headed driver.

We are building this car physically, but only as a proof of concept model. Before they decide to commit to a full size one. Some people can't totally get their head around a CG model, and want something physical. That's OK by me!

They just want a small version, so because we get this guy back after, I've decided to fabricate it at 24" long. A little bigger than needed, but way cooler in the shop when it's done :)

I can hardly wait to run this on our Techno. I'm going to carve it from an assortment of materials, but the body will be HDU. I haven't decided on the tires and rims yet, but I might use tooling board for the density.
8)
JO




No comments:

Post a Comment