When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Friday 5 April 2013

I'm glad the weekends here!

Truth is, I'll be working :)
Today was one of those days. Nothing went very smoothly. Computer problems rendered my poor Techno "down for the count" Not a router issue, but I suspect a pc power supply. It's not really awesome when your files keep getting interrupted. But I did get the primer coat on the racecar sanded, and coated, and sanded, and coated once more. I did also finish the assembly on the rest of the tires. After my awesome wheels were all sanded and looking good, I managed to drop them onto the floor. Due to their shape, they didn't roll very far, thus confirming my suspicion that oval racecar wheels might not be the most efficient design :)

It saddend me to have to use bondo on them, but that's the way the oval rolls today.
After the bondo was hard, they got sanded and primed, and I decided to work on the rims in the computer, until I get a power supply tomorrow.
This was the wheel that I had modeled in hexagon, but I decided that I would just re-draw the parts in Aspire. I wanted clean vectors for the rim, and the tire sidewalls, so it was better to head into Aspire for that. With the tire part being done and machined, I would just re-use some of those vectors for the rim design. This will also make sure the rims will fit into the tire opening.

 Using the vectors, and some basic sweeping, I soon had my rim drawn.
The highlighted ring is where a flat oval plate of .060" styrene will go. This will blend into the raised spoke design and connect the rim to the tire.
Yup, that was my whole day..........
Tomorrow is gonna be great!!!
8)
JO


No comments:

Post a Comment