When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 15 April 2013

Driving off into the sunset!

We got a last minute job Friday, so with the t.v show build in full swing, it was a weekend at the shop.
The last minute job was for a commercial, but that's all I know. They wanted a 13" blue cube. They were able to provide a Pantone number for the color, which happened to be the exact same color of the light blue PVC we use. As luck would have it, we had a sheet in stock!
It needed to be strong and lightweight, as they'll be writing on it and tossing it around.
I drew the file in Aspire, just 6- 13" squares. These got mitered on our mitering jig with the little Makita router.
With squares cut on our Techno cnc, and drawn in Aspire, I know that everything is dead square, making the assembly very easy. A simple tape hinge holds it all together until the glue got applied.
I reinforced all the edges with strips of 3/4" pvc, chem welded into place. For the final top piece, I used a medium bodied pvc cement, as the water thin stuff can evaporate to fast!
I never got a final image of it, but it was exactly like you could imagine.
That job delivered this morning, for shooting tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------RACECAR------------------------------------------------

Jody finished the paint job on the driver's body, and despite the rumors (Rob), it isn't actually Jody in the car :) Although.............................................................






He drove off at the end of the day. Who knows if he'll win the race, but he'll be looking sweet, whatever he does!
We should get this back in around a week, and I might brand it out with all of our amazing sponsors, for display. Maybe Jody can drive it to the market for groceries!
They added a bunch of signage for our current NDA  t.v.show build, so that should keep us busy for another week. YAY!
It's the gift that keeps on giving :)!!

8)
JO




No comments:

Post a Comment