When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 22 November 2012

Go Back Three Spaces!

There was a bit of a set back today when the "ready for primer' top hat got bumped and fell on the floor :(
The top section, which was made from 3/4" pvc, popped off, and both pieces rolled across the shop floor.

Stupid monopoly hat.
Jody was able to repair it flawlessly though. I don't want to point any fingers, but I wasn't anywhere near it when fell....................but Jody was........just sayin :)

The iron got cleaned up and is waiting patiently for primer. One down.

I also got started on the dog files as well.
 I was able to slice the cad file up for import into Aspire. Usually there is always 1 piece that doesn't want co-operate with the process, and the centre of the dog was no exception!
I wasn't able to close the mesh properly, but instead of fighting with it, I just employed my usual work around.
As one side was able to slice and close properly, I'll just use that side of the model, and mirror the geometry once in Aspire.
I modeled a simple box that defines where the bottom of the dog ends, and centered it to the dog section.
Once the data was imported into Aspire, I drew a box around the part I didn't want, and just cleared it away. Leaving me the geometry from Hexagon that I wanted in the first place! This portion will get mirrored, giving me the finished mid-section.

The sides of the dog came into Aspire flawlessly as usual. The detail in the file is quite good. And as this is a manufacturing cad file, all of the undercuts have been removed in the file, which works seamlessly with Aspire.


The dog will be the first piece I have cut on our new Techno lc3024 table top machine. I think I have been avoiding using our new cnc because it's SO new, and clean. I think making it dirty and dusty was a big mental block for me........weird or what?




It hums along beautifully. It max's out at 250 ipm which is pretty awesome for a machine this size.
Woo-Hoo!
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment