When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 20 November 2012

"Advance to Go"!

We started our newest build on Monday, and as there's no NDA yet, I will post the build as it progresses. However, to avoid any problems, I can't divulge any plots or what it's actually for!



We have been asked to build the Monopoly tokens above for a.................................... :)
They want them full-size. With the exception of the hotel. That will actually be made into a lamp-shade!
I was super lucky to get the CAD files from Hasbro. This will definitely speed up the build!

However, the only full 3d machining were going to do is the dog. I will, however extract the 2d information I need from the 3d files on the other pieces. These came to me as .stl files, so it won't be as easy to get the 2d info out of it like it would be from say solidworks, or our via-cad software, but I'm resourceful!
So far, I've been dealing with just the computer end of things, but tomorrow we'll start head on into it.
This should be fun............and the deadline is a little longer than normal!
8)
JO



1 comment:

  1. Hello! I want to create a huge statues of monopoly tokens and houses. You can send CAD files by e-mail ninavizhy@rambler.ru? This will speed up the create! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete