When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Turbo Town3

The meeting with Phil the Director and brainchild of the Turbo-town show we're working on went amazingly well. He loved the test vac mold we machined. In fact, he liked our work so much, he asked if we could take over the rest of the vehicles. This is pretty great! I love this stuff!

I spent the rest of Tuesday machining the new body from 40lb tooling board. I slowed our Techno cnc down quite a bit as the material is quite dense.


Phil had dropped off all of the cars they had, that were ready for bodies to be made. He also dropped of the original prototypes that starred in the test pilot he shot a few years ago. the dump truck, although a little worn now, is such a great little character. When he gets his new face and dump bucket, he'll be hittin' the town lookin' spanky!


I also got the wall panels routered for the 7 duplicate garage "homes" the smaller cars live in. I say smaller cars, but the structures are quite large. The siding strips are actually 1 5/8" wide! The wall blanks were cut from 1/4" pvc, in fact, most of the buildings will be made from pvc, as they don't want to have to tarp the very large outdoor set. These things will look great by the time they wrap shooting at the end of October.
Jody worked quite diligently cutting all the siding strip and getting them all glued up. We had a production meeting today in the City for a large kitchen set that shoots the end of next week. So we're going to be building full size stuff for that, as well as miniature stuff for Turbo-Town. At least we wont get the parts all mixed up!
We stopped by the production office today after the meeting, and picked up all the resin-cast eyeballs. Were going to be painting all of them as well. Jody got them all scuffed down for paint when we got back to the shop, and I worked on cutting as many miniature window frames and parts as I could, before the big kitchen set stuff has to get cut on the Techno.
It should be quite interesting until next week........................................................
8)
JO

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog.
    Multani Auto Fab is specialized in Trailer and Container, Storage Van, Bulkers, Multi Utility Van, Liquid Carrier, Load Body, Tipper Body, Trailer and ContainerTruck Body Fabricator

    ReplyDelete