When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Sunday 19 August 2012

More Turbo boost (I need an energy drink)

For the ease of making my blog searchable, I've decided to do separate posts whenever possible on the current builds.
We got the trailer for Dug the dumptruck done and painted, and sent back to the production company. Yaay, one down. The script calls for multiple water dunkings with this one, so, like everything else we're fabricating, we made the deck from 2 layers of PVC.Jody scribed in the deck boards on it, and used a large nail set to put in rivet details that would "fasten" the boards down in real life. We have decided on "old caterpillar yellow' for all the construction vehicles.
The rest of the boat-house got it's siding on. We are siding around the windows, this way, when the building is painted, we can just pop the finished windows in place. The window mullions and trim are staying white, so we won't be painting those. In fact, all the trim will be white.
Last Thursday I got ALL the windows, mullions, and other odds and ends cut, so they're waiting for final gluing, then they're done!
John and Jody manned the vaccum former today, we were able to pull all the race cars, so they just need trimming and cleanup. We did get a couple of pulls on my truck mold as well. 99% of it is awesome, but there is still a little cleanup to do on some seams before we go to finals on that one. The next few days we should be churning out tonnes of stuff. It seems to go that way on these kind of things, it feels like nothing is getting done, than BAM, finished parts come flying out of the shop!
8)
JO




2 comments:

  1. Greetings....did you make your vacuum forming table and heater yourself? If so can you direct me to plans for the heater portion? thanks in advance.

    David Poleski
    zeropoleski@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete