When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 1 August 2012

LG booth part 2

Today we started work on this years LG booth. We did the booth for LG last year at Toronto's Fan Fair Expo. It's the Canadian version of Comic Con.
The job is actually being split by 3 companies as it's a huge endevour between sound and lighting/ audio visual / Octonorn rentals, etc.
Our involvment is to build a duplicate of the 3'X6'X 20' tall column that houses alot of the tech gear.
Once again, our Techno cnc was pressed into action. All of the parts were drawn up in Aspire, and toolpathed for 3/4" plywood. The framing is pretty simple to keep the weight down. Weight is a bit of an issue as each section gets raised by the motorized truss system, and the next section gets bolted to the section above it. Then those raise up for the next one to get bolted to. In the end, all 5 sections will be hanging in the air for about 30 min. while everything else gets organized below.
I had Andrew in this week to help with these bad boys. Andrew was head carpenter on a few of last years builds, and this one was no exception. It made sense to have him in again to build the duplicate column.
Our Techno cnc didn't take very long to cut all the curved ribbing. In fact, the vertical rib strips were all ripped by the time the router was done cutting the 3 sheets of curved pieces.
It took both of us to assemble the basic frame structures, as they were pretty flimsy while they were going together.
By the end of day, all of the frames were glued and screwed and left overnight to dry-up.
Tomorrow we have to skin these with flexi-ply, then get the white laminate contact cemented on. These aren't due for a bit still, so we don't have to work crazy "movie hours" on this.
It was great to work with Andrew again!
I'm very fortunate that my work never feels like a "job", it always feels like I'm just hanging out, making cool stuff!
8)
JO





No comments:

Post a Comment