When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Sunday 19 August 2012

Kitchen set build

The last little while has seen us working on 2 large builds. We are hard at work on the Turbo-Town model build, as well as a large kitchen set for a commercial. The set is 25'X25', so you get the idea. This kitchen will be fairly contemporary in it's style. The lower cabinets are a white colour, while the upper cabinets doors we're doing in a brushed aluminum laminate.

Roger and Andrew have been pounding out wall sections since last week, and were in again today (Sunday). Jody and I had our friends Rob and Deb from Indiana(Indiana Rob) stay with us for 2 days. I wished it could have been longer, but the 2 projects have immovable deadlines, so we said our goodbyes this morning :( Sandy Baird, from Windwalker signs also came up on Saturday, and spent the night as well. It was great for all of us to hang out again, even though it was only June when we were all together!
As you can see, we are quickly starting to bulge the walls of the shop to accommodate things.

  Our poor Techno cnc has been sentenced to the rather large stack of MDF panels that are waiting to be made into various walls and cabinets. Although it hasn't complained about it yet, I suspect it might be bored of 2 dimensional work!
In the centre of the kitchen set, a rather large curved island will reside. This will be for showcasing the different products as they are being used. I do believe its a new line of cookware. the island will consist of 4 sections like the one above. They'll eventually become 2 halves on casters, with the front covered in flexi-ply, for a strong, smooth curve. We have to make 2 island counter tops as well. The first top has 2 cooktops sitting in it, and the second top won't have any, leaving the space clear for product shots.
I haven't decided if we are ahead-behind- or right on schedule with this build, but where-ever we are, we will be installing on Thursday
8)
JO


No comments:

Post a Comment