When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 3 July 2012

MORE..............................beer..................stuff

The weekend was jam packed with work. More crazy hours to say the least. We finished and shipped the order for the camera mounting plates. These were spec'd as being 16"X16" out of 3/4" birch plywood. I don't want to show any images, as I don't really know the company well enough to know if it's 'Top Secret' or not. The last few days were filled with cutting all the melamine for the 2nd set of bars and benches. There's alot of pieces to these bad boys! We finally got around to removing the beer tap handle from the mold we had made! Success! We redid this mold twice due to air entrapment in the mold rubber. Even after vacuuming the mold twice each time. We switched silicone rubber, and the last one seemed to do it.

The cast versions came out quite well indeed! We pulled 3 of them, and will be finishing them to look like wood.
These are gonna look great when they're done! Hopefully we can get to the painting of them first thing in the AM. I have to find a way to do them speedily, as there will be multiple runs and batches of these guys.
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment