When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Back from Indiana!

Our trip south of the border was absolutely amazing! The Sign camp Jody and I were asked to instruct at was set in the very small town of Bridgeton Indiana. 1 general store that served breakfast and closed at 4:30 and a beautiful old mill that still works from waterpower today. Oh yeah, and some houses too! We stayed in our own little 100 year old house that was full of character. The camp was put together by Robert Jones and his wonderful wife Debbie. These guys do it right. They also host a festival each year that see's over 2 million people over the 10 day period come through their small town. So if anyone was qualified to put together a camp for 30 people, it's these guys. I really clicked with Robert over the last year through phone and email, but now I consider him a close personal friend. Apparently I have to go to a whole different country to get people to like me :)
 I met the most wonderful people on this trip, some of them will be friends for life. Even Amanda, who runs the little general store, will be someone we will stay in contact with.
I had the pleasure of being able to meet Joe Crumley, who is an icon in the dimensional sign world.
I also got to meet Melissa Jones, and her husband Jason Jones. I have followed their sign work through the forums, and their website for quite a while. Absolutely amazing people, with TOP NOTCH signs.
Sandy Baird was also there, I had never met Sandy before. His sign shop is in Port Colborne, ON. so he's only a couple of hours away. We will definitely be seeing a lot more of this guy! Great work, and an even better person.
 It was an honour to be able to show people how we go about our 3D computer work, as well as our finishing techniques. I was able to snag some photo's off the Vectric forum that were taken during the camp.



I also found a few pics of some peoples finished pieces that they had worked on during the 3 day event.


Now that I'm back to my reality, there are emails to return, and quotes to send. Looks like there will be some different projects to get started on! I can hardly wait until I head back next year. I never thought I'd like teaching as much as I do!
Whooda thunk?
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment