When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Still kickin in Port Perry!

I though I would post to let everyone know who has contacted me that I'm still alive! The last couple of weeks have been very stressful around here! I have been doing nothing but computer modelling and photo-realistic rendering for a few clients. This has been a new avenue for us. When I started 3D modelling, I never would have guessed that I would be rendering displays and kiosks as a viable income. I though I would just be increasing my skillset for our work! I wish I could post some of this stuff, as I'm quite proud of the results we have been getting. But due to the fact that our renders will be a small part of larger proposals, it would be wrong of me to post these to the internet.

The other part of our stress has been moving. We have actually moved the entire shop a second time. Without getting into the freaky details, the other place was just not getting separated on any sort of reliable schedule, and this meant turning down a boatload of work, due to unavailable space and power requirements. I hated that part, but we had no other option. I am proud to say that we have now taken possession of a great space. 22' ceilings, a 15' X22' mezzanine as well as a brand new finished office space that looks fantastic. And as the space was completely gutted when we signed the lease, I was able to choose the flooring and everything. This was such a great experience, especially coming fresh out of the last "learning experience" we just had! I gotta tell you, as much as I love my Techno cnc, I don't love trying to move it......twice.

I am very blessed to have had all the people that showed up to lend a hand. Everyone was awesome and we got everything moved in 2 hours. I couldn't have asked for better friends and colleges.

There is still lots to do though. Finding a home for everything will take some time, but I have been working evenings at the new space, getting things set-up. I am sneaking in some time now and then to come up with a 3d sign for the front of the unit we're in, as well as design some furniture for the office.
I am really hoping to get started building something physical, as I fear I may be gaining a 'spare tire' from sitting at the computer all day.
8)
JO

3 comments:

  1. Good to see you posting again. I can't wait to meet you at the June meet.

    ernie balch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ernie! It's going to be a lot of fun!

      Delete