When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Friday 17 February 2012

Pretty Fly for a green guy!

Today was one of those days that make some of the deadline pressures all worth while. We arrived at the studio with our green fly guy at around 8:30. Todays shooting was for the print portion of the ad campaign. I brought my daughter Maddy along with me on this trip. She is super focused on becoming a professional photographer. I thought that bringing her with me to Westside Studio, Canada's largest Advertising and Design Photography facility, would give her a chance to see how the best in the business do what they do. At 16 yrs old, she has been taking evening college courses, to further her learning. Pretty remarkable for a 16 year old I think!


One of her photography heroes,  Matt Barnes, is rep'd by Westside Studio as well, and was more than happy to take a few minutes out of his schedule to meet her, and pose for a photo.


I hoped that by bringing her with me, she might better decide if this was something she was truly interested in or not. She's truly interested! "I thought I was gonna cry!" was her response to the introduction of Matt :)


On the business side of things, our Flyguy performed his dancing perfectly! 

This ad is being shot by photographer extrodinaire, Chris Gordoneer. I have had the pleasure of working with Chris, and his producer Tom Nesbitt for around 5 years now. Out of everything we have done on ANY set, these guys are so easy to work with. They are very low-pressure, and they get great results because of it.
There was lots of laughs on set, as everyone was in very high spirits! I wanted to post more photos today, but I have to use some discretion, due to the whole non-disclosure agreement we enter into.


Sometimes work can be like hanging out with good friends, and today was no exception!
8)
JO



No comments:

Post a Comment