When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 30 January 2012

The Scales of Justice

We got the new design space at the new shop all framed and clad. Tomorrow, my very good friend Joe from the sign shop Christoff Creations, is coming in with me to work on getting the space textured so we can keep moving forward. In the mean time, I worked all day on getting the Lawyer sign close to completion. There was a little bit of painting and gold leaf left to do.
I had cut the parts for the scales of justice on the weekend, so they would be ready for today.
 The scale were cut as 2D out of a piece of 3/8" rigid PVC. Plenty strong enough for the task at hand. I drew up the bowl shape using Aspire. I also left 2 tabs on one side that I would use to run along the fence of the table saw. I would then clean off the tabs when they were split. It was way faster to machine the 2 half bowls as one, and split it down the middle on the saw, than to machine up 2 separate ones. The bowls I cut from Ren shape. Ren shape is a urethane pattern making material that cuts very easily, but is very hard. This particular piece would be the equivalent to #70 sign foam (if it existed!)
I used brass fasteners with lots of Locktite to mount the scales and bowls to the sign backer. The fasteners go right though to recesses in the back of the sign. I will fill the back tomorrow at some point.
 I also received a note, and some pictures, from Christian at Brilliant Creative, showing me how the crazy office furniture we worked on a while ago turned out.

I really dig his choice of going natural maple! I think it looks stellar.
On a last note, it looks like we are going ahead with the Chlamydia necklace for an upcoming shoot.
Yeah, you read it right. What happens in Vegas...............................

8)
JO

2 comments: