When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Sunday 20 November 2011

The propeller gets done.

I started the day by getting the tail section pieces cut. Another important script detail is that the 'inventor' of this aircraft does a bunch of flight tests with ordinary household objects. One of the objects that performs well is a dated looking saucer from the kitchen. We were asked to incorporate the look of this saucer on the plane. We decided that the tail section would be a good place for this saucer shape.

A little ugly, but it's supposed to be set in the 40's-50's. I had spent a while trying to figure out the most cost effective way of arriving at this sort of shape. Now it doesn't have to be an exact duplicate, just be inspired by the saucer. I happened to be at Wal-Mart, and saw these kids round toboggans. Plus they were cheap! The only problem is that these are made from Polyethylene. One of the hardest plastics to do a colour change on. We have our ways though. We actually have earned a reputation as being able to get paint to stick to anything. We got a call once because a director had heard that we had gotten paint to stick to a mop, and he needed a complete colour change on some liquid laundry detergent bottles for a Tide commercial. It's funny how things can be.
I was concerned that the little snow saucer had the handle indents, but it worked because as it allows for the mounting frame. One of those things that just worked out
.This is the assembly that will hold the toboggan. I drew it with a rabbet in it to allow the saucer to mount into the frame for a custom look. I had to machine off the lip on the saucer to get it to work, but it's gonna look great!
I also got the propeller machined up as well. There is just sealer on the MDF right now, but as it will be spinning the whole time, there is no need to do any faux woodgrain finish on it. I haven't decided if the blade mount should be black or brass colour yet. I guess I will wait until tomorrow for that puny decision!
Tomorrow should be a long day I think. I still have to build the scale model of a similar flying machine, and get the wing fabric done. Should be fun though.
8)
JO

1 comment:

  1. What do you use to seal your MDF?

    ReplyDelete