When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 15 November 2011

only a few steps left!

Friday evening the Director, production designer and the production manager came up to the shop to see the flying machine first hand. It took awhile to really clean up the space to showcase where we were at with it. And with a 25' wingspan, we needed all the room available. Because everything was all built in the computer first, and cut using Aspire and our Techno cnc, all of the parts fit together perfectly. I have also had the super large job of replacing all of our doors and windows on the lake side of our house. We face north west, and the wind in the winter can be extremely fierce. We replaced 2 sliding doors with windows, replaced another sliding door and 5 more windows. As I also wanted to add some additional R value, we cladded the outside with a urethane board with foil on both sides. We also added house wrap. Me and Jody have been going solid since Saturday morning. Tomorrow should be the last of it except for all new trim on the outside in the spring. Oh yeah, all new trim and drywall work inside as well.
So we will be back on the flying machine hard on Thursday. There is not that much left compared to a week ago. We still have the chain drive for the propeller, the wing fabric, the tail disks and the 4 wheels for the landing gear.


It's gonna look sweet when the wings pop open on camera. The other thing we have to fabricate is a model of a flying machine that will hang in the 'inventors' study. It will kinda look like the version before this one. Everyone was really happy with how it's coming along, and look forward to Tuesday when it gets delivered to location.

No comments:

Post a Comment