When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Saturday 26 November 2011

No trophies for us

I got an email today letting us know we needed to stop working on the custom 'rock/paper/scissors' trophies for an upcoming t.v. spot. It seems there was a change in art direction and they needed to re-work some things. This wasn't overly upsetting as Christian, who owns Brilliant Creative, has been designing some office furniture and wanted our help with cnc-ing a lot of the panels. Christian was the designer of the colossal LG trade show booth we worked on in the summer.  This furniture is a little kooky! I love it. His designs are solid, and as he works mainly in Adobe Illustrator, so his files were almost good to go in Aspire. It didn't take anytime at all to toolpath them, and our Techno cnc made some pretty short work of the 7 sheets of maple ply. Oh yeah, you can bet they'll be more edge-banding for sure! We got  all of the pieces cut, and the main 'Armoire' built. It still needs veneer on the sides, but the structure is done. This office will have maple counters that snake along most of the walls, so there will be plenty of working room at his studio.

I think it's all gonna look pretty cool. Very whimsical, yet still very professional. We will work on the other components later this week. On another note, I will be heading to the Woodworking show at the International Centre in Toronto tomorrow to see whats new and exciting in the world of tools and tooling. I know, I'm lame!
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment