When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 7 November 2011

Edge banding...................................That's all I'm gonna say.

It's a bit funny how things change, the season's, music, fashion, and my desire to edge band. I now am deciding very carefully if I want to even cut a piece on our Techno cnc, as I know what that means..................more edge banding. Tomorrow I have decided that I should let someone more qualified take this task on. And by qualified I mean not me :) Jody should do this. Yeah that's right, give it to Jody. She's gonna loooove me! That poor girl, she's always gettin stuck doing the 'less than super-crazy-awesome' tasks, like sanding, and sanding, oh yeah....sanding. I sound bitter, but I truly am not. I worked Saturday and Sunday on doing some more designing and routering, and figuring out how this will attach to that, etc.
Our Techno cnc got a workout cutting even more pieces today (look at all those edges that need edge banding ;) These pieces become the first section of the fold out wing system.
The fuselage is now fabricated and clamped together. It is very solid, despite it's open tail framing. The tail will always be open with the exposed framing. It does have aircraft running down the length to add to the look.
This portion is just over 17 feet long, so it's a small/big plane I guess. However the wingspan will be over 25 feet when they are fully open.
Here the propeller tower is sitting in position. It's not totally finished, as it needs edge banding as well. It also gets some add on pieces that are both structural and decorative. These need edge banding too. I have been taking a break from the banding and been applying stain here and there. It looks good with the first wing section in place.

8)
JO









No comments:

Post a Comment