When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 12 September 2011

I love propane!

We are making very good headway on the display units for the L.A. toy fair. We just have a couple more to build by end of day tomorrow and we're good to go. I saved all the parts that are being shipped unpainted until last. We finished up at 10:00 tonight with all the painting done. Nothing special just a few different tones of Hammerite. The stuff is looking good!
Here's a couple of the display counters. The big holes in the center will get a plate of translucent white sign acrylic. Then there will be 4 standoffs supporting a 3/8" smoked acrylic sitting on the top of these. Should look great once the lights get in. There are tons of painted bits and pieces all over the shop. I'll be glad when things get back to normal!
Some days we are lucky to have a couple of entirely different things happening to break up the day. Today was no exception. We started early today on a propane fire bar for a commercial we are shooting this week. It was pretty straight forward, propane-burner-fire. I used 1/2" iron pipe for the burner portion with a bunch of holes drilled into it for the flame. It was kinda fun playing with it outside. Oh the good times! Jamie like fire!
This will actually be placed into a faux fireplace for a background shot.



The pictures aren't overly great, but you get the idea. I doubt if the flames will actually be this large but at least the horsepower is there.
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment