When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 1 September 2011

Display table

For starters, I am stumped at the number of people who have been asking me about Loopin Louie. Mainly 'What is it?' It was a childhood game, it was around at the same time as Hungry Hippo's, and Buckaroo.
I thought I would embed a Youtube link I found to his commercial from around '93.





On another note, I started designing all the vectors for the cool display table we are starting right away. This is another job I'm glad to be working on. Some jobs are not all that exciting, but Louie and the display are gonna be a lot of fun.





These vectors I am drawing in Corel Draw.  They certainly could be drawn in Aspire, but I am a little stuck in my ways, and find technical things easier for me to draw this way. I will eventually switch all of it over to Aspire, but for now, I like my way :) The original design didn't come from me, but redrawing all the pieces will smooth out the 'faceted' style drawing of Sketchup file. The whole thing will be 2D laminations of various thickness MDF. Most of it is straight forward, but there is some curved sections in the middle that we will make from 1/8" MDF and it will be set into rabbets in the end panels. I can hardly wait to start our Techno cnc cutting into the material, and all the pieces aligning properly.

8)
JO










No comments:

Post a Comment