When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 15 August 2011

Driving the globe in the bike lane!


 The last few days have been a little chaotic around the shop. The unit next to us has been vacant for some time now, and as this trade show booth is gearing up rapidly, we have decided to take it for the rest of it's build. It will be a clean space for us to to do our arborite laminating as well as storage for the completed parts. I was able to finish carving the sign support for the dive sign. That was put on hold right after our Techno cnc finished cutting it so I could move onto cutting a gigantic pile of 'Bike Lane' stencils for the city. These are pretty much the same as the wheelchair stencils, except that they are actually twice as big as them. We had to cut them in 2 pieces and 'hinge tape' them together for easier transport. Between using the right cutter/feed-spindle speed we were able to cut 9 at a time, and they were 99.9% as good as die-cutting the cardboard. I was very pleased!

The other neat little job we have is for a local business called 'Bulldogg Custom Apparel' I had actually designed their logo about a year ago. They have a fun marketing plan they are gearing up for. They're calling it 'Send the FJ around the world' The plan is to paint and wrap 5 TOY Toyota FJ cruisers to look just like their actual Toyota business vehicle. They want a scannable QR code placed on the roof that will take people to their facebook page. The plan is to have people photograph themselves with the toy, upload the pictures to facebook and then pass the car to someone else. They'll track the toy via the uploads and see how far it will make it around the globe. Ambitious AND fun. Good for them! So we purchased 5 toys and are painting them up now. Then we will print waterslide decals and clear coat the toys so the graphics will last. If anyone is interested, just look for the little grey dog on facebook under BULLDOG CUSTOM APPAREL. They have a page called Track the FJ.




I wish them well. Maybe I should model a miniature Techno cnc and send that around the world. Hmmm.........



JO







No comments:

Post a Comment