When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 14 July 2011

miniatures and the director

Todays meeting with director Michael Patterson went very well. I have worked with Michael before on other commercials. He is in every way a great director! I think of him as the 'Michael Bay' of the toy commercials.I think he's planning on doing some Matrix style shots with the toys flying projectiles. I would love to see what he could do with $10 million and more time than 60 seconds. The meeting did take up most of the day though. We set up the pieces we had built yesterday and Michael went about lensing it all with his camera. This will be shot with an extreme wide angle lens, thus collapsing the background down. Our 4 foot diameter model arena starts to look like a baseball arena with the lens. The meeting kept rolling along while I would make small pieces here and there if he didn't need me. We went over the color and texture samples that we had done up, and Jody did a couple more for him. By the end of the day we didn't have a lot of stuff made, but everyone felt a little more confident moving forward. The next couple of days will be scary busy as this Titanic build gets closer to it's deadline.


After the meeting, we were able to get the base coat on the mountains so they would be ready for a couple of coats of glaze and dry-brushing. Oh the morning is gonna come fast, I just know it!

JO

No comments:

Post a Comment