When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Oh the things that come up




At the advice of a couple of my blogger friends, I decided to add the code for a 'Digg' button to my blog. Well, I was able to edit all my posts with the HTML code, but it managed to screw up all my published dates. So it would seem all my facebook friends will have MULTIPLE posts on there walls! Live and learn I guess.

Did you ever have one of those days that didn't necessarily go as planned? Let's start with the rain-no texture for me outside today. Early this morning I was asked to supply an Aspire model of a small memorial plaque, which I happily agreed to. Before I knew it it was noon, and I was still at home.

So I got to work about 15 min. later and finished all the base coating on the Death Machine parts. I tell you, The only thing that that machine can really kill is all my small paintbrushes. With all the lightning holes I carved into all the supports, there was a TON of small openings to try and jam paint into.
I also had been asked to cut some vinyl graphics for a local business a few weeks back and never quite got to it...............until today. I felt I couldn't put this job off any longer, so right after the last of the basecoat paint, I went right to town on the van graphics. It was nice to get that small job off the ever-growing list!

Maybe tomorrow will see way more action on the Death Machine. This job was awarded VERY early, so it's been kind of nice to be able to start newer jobs, and backburnering the Death Machine when we need to.

Speaking of new jobs, we've been asked to build a BUBBLE gun. Sort of retro-sci-fi. That should be interesting. I don't think I've ever built a BUBBLE gun before

JO

No comments:

Post a Comment