When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 16 May 2011

Death gets a bed





Today was a bit of a juggle. I had 2 meetings for some upcoming tentative projects. So between meetings, I was able to get the bed for the death machine started. I had already cut the skins a while ago, so I really just had to cut the backer panels and apply the 2X2 supports. I was also able to make some more headway on the painting. There are definitely more gears at painting time then I remember making :) I mixed up a dirty reddish brown for the base coat and applied it liberally to all the parts. Before I knew it, it was the end of the day. I can't decide if today was a hugely productive day, but it certainly flew by pretty quick. I was really hoping to get the bed texture coated, but the rain outside had other plans. And after the over-spray explosion texturing the top of the death machine, I think I'll take this one outside!
 If all goes as planned, tomorrow I will finish all the base-coat colour, texturing, and be able to get back to assembling the tattoo needles of death.
 This job will start to come together by leaps and bounds once the weathering gets started. The last part should be running all the wiring and BAM, it should be done.
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment