When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 18 April 2011

More death




Today went well on the death machine. Mike was in again today, and that really sped things up. Mike's an easy going fellow, and we have a fair amount in common, which really makes the day go by quick. We were able to finish the support legs and get more rivets on. The harrow got assembled with the arms that it hangs from. This is the part that will have the animated tattoo needles going up and down. We didn't get the concrete parging on the pylons done, We'll probably start on that tomorrow. When I started the design, I found a cnc file for a mechanical iris on the Vectric website (I don't remember who posted it, but if they let me know, I will credit them). This is where your punishment will be fed into the machine with old school punch tape. It's a pretty cool design, and should look great on the front of the machine. the whole time we're building, all I can think about for is getting to the texture and painting stage. This is where it all comes to life!      

JO

No comments:

Post a Comment