When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 26 April 2011

It really is a Death Machine!




The Death  machine really does work. It seems that a misplaced finger, coupled with the law of the lever and Newton's first law of motion equals........... "!@#$?@" But now it only hurts all the time.






After taking care of all the mechanics, and adding considerably more, I am now re-doing some of the gears to make the machine appear to run in a wonky state of dis-repair. This includes a new elliptical drive gear system that will slow down and speed up the main gear assembly, as well as moving some of the gears slightly off centre, which will make it look a little wiggly.  We beefed up the lift system for the harrow platform, and added "steam hydraulic" lift arms to it. Due to all the moving parts that fold in on each other, the harrow has a tendency to swing back from side to side, a tendency I disliked very much. This is the real reason we added the lift arms. They actually just go along for the ride, but they did take the rocking out of it. A little to much so for the age and the condition of the machine. So I intentionally made them bind a little to make the up and down movement a bit more jerky. This should be it for the mechanics of it all. We will have to put this job on the backburner for a week as the Mythraic stone deadline is quickly approaching!

JO

No comments:

Post a Comment