When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 8 March 2011

"Yeti"-nother project




Well today we started a pretty cool job for our client Matt Barnes. Matt is a pretty cool guy as well as a highly sought after photographer. Every year he does an epic photograph and his style is very unique. You can check out his work at: http://www.thatsthespot.com This year he contacted us to fabricate a 10 foot tall Himilayan yeti creature. I won't lie, the deadline was very tight! Due to time constraints, we purchased a 3d monster model instead of modelling it ourselves. As the 3d model was already rigged with bone structure, we were able to work with Matt in finding the pose that he was looking for. Now the hard part begins. We started by slicing all the appendages off the 3d computer model, then splitting those parts as close to the middle as possible. After we had our pile of body parts in the computer, we exported them all out in the STL format that our Aspire software could import.

No comments:

Post a Comment