When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Quickly taking shape




This afternoon I laid out the rest of all the parts in the computer.Luckily our Yeti will be mostly covered in hair.
This will allow us to use a giant stepover of 70% or so. It should mean that we can be pulling parts off our Techno cnc router fairly quickly. As it turns out we are cutting an entire sheet of parts every 30-40 min. Just what we need, as the ever approaching deadline doesn't seem to be changing!


As the parts have been coming of the Techno, we have been furiously getting them covered with water-based
contact cement. We use this product as styrofoam is so sensitive to the chemicals found in most other adhesives.Plus the dry time is fairly fast when all the fans are blowing on them.

Here is the leg assembly after all the layers have been glued up. You can see the results of the giant stepover we chose to use. Again, it doesn't matter as we still have to apply 20 yds. of fur.

No comments:

Post a Comment